Okay, okay...it's confession time. What I have to say may shock you. First, I made a cake from a boxed cake mix this weekend! Yes, I really did. I was going to make the featured "Glorious Coconut Cake" of my last blog but I simply ran out of time and steam. It was 9:00 on Saturday night before Easter and I a ham to bake, a chicken pie to finish, 2 grits casseroles to make for church, and numerous other tasty delights to whip up. My back was hurting, my feet were aching, no, throbbing and my temper was short. NOT a good time to whip up a cake that takes an enormous amount of patience and even some skill...I could write a book on the perils of making the perfect "seven minute icing". So, as I purveyed my pantry, what did I spy? Oh YEAH... a box of lemon cake mix! Let me tell you, that box of cake mix was my new best friend. No, I won't use a cake mix very often but sometimes you just have improvise. Saturday night before Easter was just the time to improvise. So, in 5 minutes I whipped up the lemon box cake with a little added lemon flavoring, poured the batter into my trusty bundt pan and popped that little sucker into the oven. Next morning, I whipped up a very sweet and gooey frosting from confectioner's sugar, lemon flavoring and evaporated milk and VOILA...lemon pound cake. That simple little cake mix saved my back, legs, feet and temper! AND it was enjoyed by all.
Ok, if you're up off the floor with shock and dismay, here's confession number two. I am absolutely loving Anthony Bourdain's book, Kitchen Confidential. It rocks! Yes, it's full of vulgar and ugly words but the message of the book rocks. And if you're shocked by the "f" word, by all means, don't read it but if you can get over AB's rather crude and base use of the English language and if you love food, you must read it! As a hopeless, foodie, an aspiring chef, and a closet wanna be restaurant owner, I'm up to my elbows and head over heels in love with this man's take on all things related to the restaurant world. And yes, in spite of his honesty, and all the other garbage I've heard about the restaurant business, I still want to own one and I want to rule it like the cooking diva I am!
No comments:
Post a Comment