Monday, June 20, 2011

Fat Women Can't Jump!

If I dare to be brutally honest, I have to admit there are parts of my multifaceted life that I don't want to give over to God. Things I hang on to like a someone clutching a life preserver in the middle of the ocean. I suppose if I sat still long enough and really began to clean the corners of my heart, I might be surprised by what I find hiding in there.

Now, I'll be the first to tell anyone who will listen that God can be trusted. In fact, I can give numerous examples of how He can be trusted and if you want to sit with me for a while, I can tell you stories of how He has always been found faithful in my life. So why? Why would I keep some of the "stuff" of my life hidden away from a loving, trustworthy God? Why would I conveniently loose "things" in my life that really need to be given to the one who made me for Himself? Pride, selfishness, arrogance? Most assuredly.

It's no surprise that one such area of my life I've kept for myself is my passion for food. I love food. I love to smell the many smells of the savory and sweet things of life. I love to savor the taste of sauce cooked to perfection. I love to sit at my table and watch my friends and family delight in what I've prepared for them. One of the most beautiful pleasures of life is to taste, to be satisfied and full. I've known for quite a while that God has been prodding me to give Him this area of my life but I've resisted. After all, do I really need to get God involved in EVERYTHING? Well, yes, I do. Left to my own will, my own passions, my own desires, I've found my life gets horribly out of kilter. From weight to cholesterol, I've become a bit of a mess and the truth of the matter is, I need God to bring this area of Jane under His love control. If I'm not careful, I'll "diet" and then binge and then fail again...I need a Savior to bring balance to my life. I need Him to teach me moderation. I've heard this before but didn't know it was actually written in the Bible, "You know the old saying, "First you eat to live, and then you live to eat"? Well, it may be true that the body is only a temporary thing, but that's no excuse for stuffing your body with food..."1 Corinthians 6:13.

In Psalms, the Bible says, "[ A David Psalm ] I'm thanking you, God, from a full heart, I'm writing the book on your wonders. I'm whistling, laughing, and jumping for joy; I'm singing your song, High God. Psalm 9:1-3. Over indulging in anything gets in the way of what He has planned for me. So, yes, He does need to be involved in even my eating.

And you know I'm right because "fat women can't jump"! We really can't!

No comments:

Post a Comment